FELLMAN MANOR

In 1867 August Fellman had bought the Manor (Lahtis Gård), the largest house in the village, near Vesijärvi. August Fellman was a soldier who became a businessman, a municipal influencer, and a court adviser to the greatest man in Lahti’s village and trade era. He developed agriculture, founded a brewery, participated in the Loviisa-Vesijärvi railway project, built the village’s first elementary school. In 1897-98, Fellman built a new main building, now known as the Fellman Manor, or Lahti Manor, which was one of the few valuable buildings in Lahti to replace what he had acquired. The manor had its own dairy and a large barn, and a steam sawmill on the shore of Lake Pikku-Vesijärvi, later also a pulp mill. At the turn of the 1910s, Fellman employed over 400 people. For his part, August Fellman also contributed to the fact that the village of Lahti first acquired the rights for town and later a city status. In 1891, August Fellman was elected to represent the Peasant Order in the Senate, where he was a member of the Banking Committee, the Constitutional Committee, and the Presidential Council.

On April 13, 1903, a secret meeting of constitutional lawyers (among others KJ Ståhlberg, PE Svinhufvud, Carl Mannerheim and A. Fellman, later became Presidents of Finland) met at the Fellman manor to decide the rejection of the so-called Finnish Manifesto of the Russian Emperor and Grand Duke of Finland Nicholas II. Many of those involved received a deportation order, August Fellman, for a year and a half.

The Fellman / Lahti Manor was taken over by the city in 1919 and subsequently served as a school for forty years. Since 1968, the manor has housed the Lahti Historical Museum, which includes items from the Vyborg Historical Museum, collections of objects, photographs and works of art. The museum also serves as the Regional Museum of Päijät-Häme. In the manor park is Emil Wikström’s bronze-sculpted well called Aino (1949, unveiled in Helsinki 1905).